Friday, January 30, 2009

Namenda...bless you!

Namenda?? What the heck is that you say... It's Quinn's latest medication we started this month. Quinn saw the neurologist last month just before Christmas and he suggested we add yet another medication to see if it would help with his speech and language development. He gave me some research on an Alzheimer's medication called "Namenda" and suggested we give it a try. The most reported side effect is.....get this......irritability.

As if we don't have enough irritable men around this house. Someone help me! I'm dying in a sea of irritable boys between the ages of 2 and 32! I'm packing the car and I'm headed for Tahoe...er further out than that. I'll be back in about 16 years. Don't leave the light on for me.

So I did what any mother in my anxious shoes would do. I researched Namenda on Google. I was a little torn because the neurologist is using this drug as an "off label" use. (meaning, the drug is not intended for children.) On the other hand, I found some interesting information from other parents who have used Namenda and had great results with it. If you're interested..read here.

http://www.talkautism.com/sponsors/autismspeaks/HelpWanted.aspx?Page=Response&id=2528

So he started Namenda in addition to the Depakote, iron supplement, carnitine, etc. I can't keep track anymore. Maybe I should use some Namenda to help me remember what all the meds are for. He's been on it for a week and I haven't noticed any differences yet, but he has been a little irritable. I have my fingers crossed that it'll pass.

On to more interesting things... I took the boys to the train museum and managed to snap this photo of Chase with his head poking up in the middle of one of the display sets.


The train museum is typically a fun place to hang out when it's cold and rainy. The boys enjoy the trains and engines, and the mom's run after them trying to corral the kiddies before they run off. Unfortunately, I got held up while walking through a train car and Quinn took off. I thought he would wait for me at the end of the train car. . . . . . I was wrong. Quinn took off and was lost. My work friend Laurie was running around searching one end of the museum while I ran the other direction dragging poor Chase behind me with a death grip on his hand.

I can't tell you the feeling or thoughts that were flashing through my brain. After 10 minutes of screaming "QUINN QUINN!!!!! QUINN!" I cornered an employee and sucked up my pride and admitted I could not find my kid. I had failed as a mother and lost track of my most precious gift....my first born son. The employee was a little old man who was about 90 years old and moved at the speed of a 105 year old man. He notified the front desk and the employees began guarding the doors and looking for Quinn. They asked me what Quinn was wearing and my mind was blank. I think I stuttered, said "I don't know" a few times and then began describing his orange shirt, jeans, and hoodie sweater when I realized that I was looking at him walking toward me with a museum employee. I dropped everything (except for Chase's hand which was purple at this point) and ran up to Quinn hugging him and crying. He was crying too and obviously a bit disoriented.

The museum employee asked me, "Is this your son?"

Was she serious? No, lady! I just enjoy running around your museum screaming at the top of my lungs "Quinn" for the hell of it to see if it'll attract a little boy.

After we returned home Chase got creative with a random pen he found laying around the house. Below is the photo shopped version...

This is with Chase's art work. Can you tell?????


Here, take a closer look. Some children draw on walls and decorate the house. Fortunately, my kids keep their art on their bodies. I'm ok with it as long as their body art washes off.


Hopefully he won't ask for a tattoo any time soon.

4 comments:

Helene said...

OMG, that had to be SO scary losing Quinn like that! That train museum is huge so I could see how it would be easy for a kid to wander off while you're still stuck on one of the trains! Glad you found him though! A friend of mine once suggested taking a pic of the kids with your cell phone right before you go off to wherever you're going so in a moment of panic you can just show the security people the picture and it also gives them a good description of what the child actually looks like.

The pics of Chase are so cute! What a little ham!! Thank God for photoshop, right?

Alex said...

I have been waiting for another update!!!

Losing Quinn must have been terrifying! I remember getting lost as a kid, (didn;t realize there were 2 exits to the playgound and went to meet my mother at the wrong one) and I have recovered... My mother still talks about the guilt! But little boys are slippery suckers, and there is nothing you can do about it... Glad he was caught!

And wow-- chase, is so cute! he looks so grown up! And I love his wild hair... We have a bit of that hair by us-- just brown!

Thanks for the update and I hope you are doing well! Hugs from here!

Alex (canuqueen)

Mom2Da'Gorgeouses said...

Oh gosh! That must have been some scary stuff, my heart was beating a million miles a minute just reading about it!

I hope the new meds help instead of just adding irritability to the mix, I'll keep you all in my prayers.

Thanks for stopping by the other day, sorry to be just getting back, seems I tried to fall off the face of the earth for awhile, it just happens to me sometimes--LOL!!

The boys are getting so big and your photos of them are darling. I especially liked the storyboard Christmas photo---tooo funny!

Hugs & Blessings!

3 Bay B Chicks said...

I am the exact same way whenever my three year old takes off...running in the opposite direction of where I would like him to be. I think it happens to all of us. However, the panic that takes over your very soul is terrible. Ugh. I can so relate.

I was glad to read that everything worked itself out. If I had been in your position, the quote from the museum employee would have probably sent me over the edge. Hello, you were hugging the boy and crying?! Did she really expect you to say, "No, I have never seen this kid in my life. Let's keep looking."

People's stupidity sometimes just plain makes me laugh.

-Francesca