Friday, June 13, 2008

More Pills?

Quinn's blood draw went ok. He charged right back into the lab and jumped into the chair and held out his arm to the technician. They asked me, "Has he done this before?"

I said, "Yes, but I don't think he remembers this because of the way he jumped in the chair."

The tech asks Quinn, "Do you want to sit in Mommy's lap?"

Quinn: "No mommy's lap."

Mommy: "Are you sure?"

Quinn "Yes!"

Once the technician pulled out the needle and attempted to stick his arm, the crying and tears began. He was pleading with the technician... "No wait! Please, stop!! STOP!!! PLEASE!!! Owie!!! STOP!"

And just like that it was over. As we left the lab, the other patients looked sickly and pale after hearing Quinn's pleas for help. I looked over at a lady and nodded and said, "It really wasn't that bad."

The latest news is....... Quinn is anemic. The neuro's office faxed the results over to the pediatrician and now we wait for a prescription to be called in. I argued with the receptionist at the neuro's office if I could just change Quinn's diet or do other things to change his iron levels though his diet. She said, "I'm sure you could try that and then bring him in for follow up bood test to make sure it's working." No thanks, I'll opt for more pills. I guess his level was 15 and they want to see it above 22 at a minimum.

You don't get it lady... My kid is already taking 4 pills a day, I don't want him to be eating a gallon of frosting with all his meds. Gaah! I'm frustrated. I wish Quinn would eat more than frosting and chicken nuggets.

Quinn's MRI is scheduled for July 7th at 7:45 am. They will put him under general anesthesia and look at his noggin through a machine for about an hour. They are going to look for any structural defects in his brain or anything else that might explain why Quinn is such an awesome kid. I'm sure the pictures will come out great. I'll ask if I can get a copy of them in photoshop. (I'm kidding again.) I hope I do get to see some of the pictures though. I'm sure they will seem more like dopplar radar to me, but it's still neat to think of what they can do with technology. After all... how often do you get to see what your kid's brain looks like on the inside?

Mom, if you're reading this, I may need you to babysit Chase that day. ;)

7 comments:

Debbie M said...

Quinn is an awesome kid, how cool to look at his brain!!

katie riggins said...

I am sure his brain will show some sign of his amazing intelligence, just like his dad's! And I can babysit if Barb can't !

stranlaw said...

Bonnie...I love that you said this:

"They are going to look for any structural defects in his brain or anything else that might explain why Quinn is such an awesome kid."

That quote alone shows what a great mama you are!

Quinn is awesome and I hope some of these tests give you some answers!

Hang in there!!

Alex said...

Bonnie, your blog makes me laugh out loud! You are hilarious!

I totally get the facisnation of looking at the Quinn's MRI... I am always amazed at u/s's and x-rays and all those things. I got to listen to morgan's heart at the dr. and it was way thrilling, to hear it beting and think about it there in his little chest... Hmmmm That make me sound weird... You know what I mean!

I hope the MRI goes well and drama-free. And just for the record, I also wish my child would eat things other than yogurt and noodles... you are not alone in that battle!

CourtneyMc said...

I hope things go well for Quinn and your family. Update your blog often to keep us in the loop. Quinn really is "An Awesome Kid."

Connor's doctor referred him for speech therapy and a hearing evaluation, so we will see how it goes.

CourtneyMc said...

I hope all goes well for Quinn and your family. Blog often to keep us updated on what is going on. Quinn really is "an awesome kid."

Connor's doctor referred him for both speech therapy and a hearing evaluation. So we will see how it goes.

Unknown said...

Of COURSE my grandchild is beautiful and intelligent. Any brainiac would know that. He is the delight of my eye and darling of my heart. All will go well and I will watch the other nugget while Quinn gets his new photoshop pictures. Love, Gramma