Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Spit..It happens

The boys have started a gnarly new habit. yes..... spitting! It started innocently in the bath tub when Quinn sucked in some water from a stacking cup and squirted it out of his mouth causing Chase to bust a gut laughing. This lead to Quinn becoming angry and hauking a luggie at Chase. Where does he get this stuff???

Grant and I immediately jumped into action as we would NEVER tolerate this type of behavior from our sweet and perfect children. All of a sudden, Chase busts another gut laughing and thinks it's hilarious and returns the favor as he spits back at Quinn. How are we going to stop this? Should I ask Dr. Sears? Alice? Dear Abbie? Dr. Laura? Dr. Spock? I must have missed the chapter in my parenting books that talks about redirecting your children's spit patterns.

I'm off on a tangent. I intended to come here and update you all on Quinn's progress. It's AMAZING! Quinn has been on Depakote for about a month now and his speech and language has progressed significantly. I'm doing the happy dance for Quinn and Dr. Chez, my new personal hero. I still have to do some Google research on Depakote and speech and language, but seeing is believing for me.

Here is our tentative schedule of events:

Today: Start iron rich diet to combat anemia

July 7th: MRI 7:45am

July 19th: Quinn's 4th birthday :)

July 22nd: Resume speech therapy at the school

August 20th: Followup appointment with the pediatric neurologist and more bloodwork

Some time after this we will most likely do another EEG to see if the Depakote is having an effect on Quinn's electrical impulses emitted by his brain. We want to make sure his noggin doesn't produce any more spikey patterns and that his left and right side of his brain are in sync. (No, not like the cheesy boy band. ha ha ha....)

Thanks everyone for your comments. It's really fun to read your feedback. For those of you that don't know... you can leave me comments here on my blog by clicking on the "comment" prompt at the bottom of this post. Your love and support means the world to me.

3 comments:

Alex said...

Oh we know the spitting thing well chez moi. I have a funny spitting story (not as funny as spitting itself, chase, sorry buddy!)

Lets just say morgan got his fair share of time outs at daycare for spitting. One evening about 3 mos ago after a long day, I was bathing morgan. He has lots of those squirty toys in his tub. So he took one of them, which was a construction man, a filled him with water and then squirted me with it. he then proceeded to scold the little quirter and said "no 'pittin, man! (translation: no spitting man!). The then proceeded to put him on the ledge in the far corner of the tub, wagged his finger at the guy and punished him by telling him "big fat time out, man!" (lets just say the adjectives "big fat" before other words, comes from daycare and I would NEVER say such a thing!)

So anyway, it seems as though it is a very exciting activitiy to the anke biters. Ahhh the joys of parenthood!

hugs!

Debbie M said...

Sorry Bonnie my solution for spitting boys is to have only one! Although I've been told having a single child isn't good, as they need a partner in crime. SO if Chris had a younger brother/sister, I'm sure both would be in Juvenile Hall and I would be in the looney bin!! Good luck with that one.

Unknown said...

Hi Bonnie - I just got off the phone with your Mom and just HAD to weigh in on the whole spitting thing.

Let me just chime in with a resounding MINE, TOO! Luke is spitting before he can even talk. He and Will go back and forth, usually when I'm busy doing something like driving where I can't redirect their activities.

I also wanted to let you know that I've added Quinn and your family on my church's prayer list. I'm thankful that your mum can be out there for you during all this. (What would we do without our Mommies???) So, I'll also see what the Big Guy upstairs can do about finding her a house near yours.

Take care and keep blogging. Your writing and images are quite enjoyable!

Lauren Sorensen
An old patient of your mom's